Elite Lawyer

Asylum Attorney Overview

Lawyer Assistance With Refugee Immigration

The United States provides many benefits for those who live within its borders, including the ability to live in safety, free from the threat of persecution because of one's race, religion, nationality, or political opinions. Those who are in danger of harm from others for one of these reasons may be able to legally immigrate to the U.S. by applying for asylum.

If you are looking to achieve safety for your family by immigrating to the United States, or if you need to avoid being deported to a country where you will be in danger of persecution, an immigration attorney can help you apply for asylum. With the help of a skilled lawyer, you can achieve your goal of living and working in safety without the fear of harm.

Refugees and Asylum

People who have been persecuted or fear being persecuted because of their race, nationality, religion, membership in a social group, or political beliefs may apply for protection in the United States. However, these protections do not apply to those who participate in persecuting others or to those who face persecution for another reason. Some people may be inadmissible to the United States because of serious criminal convictions, threats to national security, or successful resettlement in another country.

If a person is located outside the U.S., they may apply to receive a referral to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program and be settled in the United States. A person who is already present in the United States may apply for asylum within one year of their arrival by filing Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If asylum status is granted, they will be able to remain in the U.S. without fear of deportation.

Both refugees and asylees are authorized to work while living in the United States. They may also apply to bring their spouse and children to live with them in the U.S. by filing Form I-730 (Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition) with USCIS within two years of arriving in the U.S. or being granted asylum.

One year after a person has come to the U.S as a refugee or been granted asylum status, they may apply to become a lawful permanent resident and receive their Green Card. This can be done by filing Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status) with USCIS. Separate forms must be filed for each member of a refugee or asylee family.

If you need to apply for asylum, an experienced attorney can help protect your rights and work with you to meet the legal requirements that will demonstrate your family's need to remain in the United States to protect your safety.

Featured Attorneys

Tricia Goostree

Tricia Goostree

Kane County Family Law Attorney

Goostree Law Group

555 S. Randall Road, Suite 200
St. Charles, IL 60174
Phone: 630-584-4800
Todd A. Bresney

Todd A. Bresney

Springfield, IL Lawyer

Kanoski Bresney

2730 South MacArthur Blvd.
Springfield, IL 62704
Phone: 217-523-7742
Allen N. Schwartz

Allen N. Schwartz

Illinois Personal Injury Attorney

Schwartz Jambois

60 W. Randolph St., 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-782-5228
Darlina C. Crowder

Darlina C. Crowder

Collin County Criminal Attorney

The Crowder Law Firm, P.C.

7950 Legacy Drive, Suite 360
Plano, TX 75024
Phone: 214-303-9600
  • logo
  • logo
  • Dads Divorce
  • Elite Lawyer
  • logo
  • OVC Chatbox
  • OVC Photography
Back to Top